It is well known that raw lemon juice has enormous health benefits. Interestingly, the origin of the lemon is unclear. They are believed to have originated in India, China and Burma and then entered Europe via the Roman Empire in the 1st century AD. Wherever they come from, lemons are rightly revered for their delicious flavor and make an incredible addition to any home's natural medicine cabinet.
Raw lemon juice is known for its antioxidant properties and has been used for centuries to heal many ailments and cleanse the body.
Lemons are rich inC-vitamin, which is essential for maintaining a fully functional immune system, aiding digestion, fighting cancer, helping wounds heal, and even helpingprevent heart failure.
In the 18th century, the Royal Navy used lemons to fight scurvy, a serious disease caused by vitamin C deficiency, and the Roman Emperor Nero was said to have consumed large quantities to avoid poisoning one of his many enemies.
Lemons are not only an essential household supplement for their medicinal properties and health benefits; Lemon juice is also used in the home to disinfect surfaces, remove stains, clean kitchens and remove old wax. It can also be used as an insecticide to repel mosquitoes, flies and other insects.
It's hard to imagine a natural product with as many and varied uses as the humble lemon, it's like the Swiss army knife of fruit!
The health benefits of raw lemon juice
Fresh lemon juice can also help with:
- Maintain an alkaline pH condition–Maintain a slightly positive alkaline conditionIt is believed to help fight cancer and other diseases. Although they taste sour, lemons actually help our bodies maintain a slightly alkaline optimal pH. You can read more aboutalkaline foods hereoher.
- blood purifier- Lemons can help the body to remove toxins.
- blood sugar balance– The acid in raw lemon juice reduces the effect of any meal on blood sugar.
- detox– Raw lemon juice cleanses the kidneys and digestive system. Helps the body to remove toxins for a good overall detox.
- Weight loss- The pectin in lemon peel is a great source of fiber, which is thought to help overweight people lose weight. Lemons can also be used to spice up salads and other dishes without adding unnecessary calories.
- osteoporosis- Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C, which helps the body absorb calcium and fight osteoporosis. Two tablespoons of raw lemon juice diluted in a glass of warm water is good for pregnant women as it promotes healthy bone growth for mother and baby.
- Insomnia- In the case ofinsomnia, raw lemon juice helps improve sleep.
- Food for the brain and nerves– Potassium found in raw lemon juice helps the brain and nerve cells, improves concentration, memory and calms the mind.
- immune system– Raw lemon juice strengthensimmune systemwhich in turn helps fight many diseases, including cancer.
- Infection– Fresh lemon juice is rich in citric acid, which can help prevent or cure infections.
- cough and cold- Lemon added to a little warm water with a little honey is one of the most effective remedies known for coughs and colds.
- Asma– Taking half a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice washed down with warm water before each meal provides quick relief from asthma. Taking it first thing in the morning and last thing at night also gives very positive results.
- hard skin– Apply lemon juice several times a day for excellent results.
- Nausea, vomiting and motion sickness– Drink a glass of lemon juice diluted with water to help with motion sickness and motion sickness.
- Arthritis, rheumatism and bone-related diseases– Since lemons are a rich source of antioxidants, they have excellent anti-inflammatory properties. A few glasses of diluted lemon juice can be given to help recover from rheumatic fever, joint pain, lower back and sciatica.
- Acne, blemishes and pimples- Applying raw lemon juice to the face is a popular remedy for acne and pimples.
- Cabello– Raw lemon juice has been used throughout history to make hair strong and shiny.
- Radiation or chemotherapy– As an excellent detoxification aid if you have had radiotherapy or chemotherapy, regular lemon juice drinks can help the body naturally detoxify from these harsh treatments.
Lemon drink recipe: For optimal health
A great way to help the body reach optimal alkalinity to help fight disease. Just increase your lemon juice intake by half a lemon a day, as in:
Day 1: the juice of 1 lemon
Day 2: the juice of 1.5 lemons
Day 3: the juice of 2 lemons
Day 4: the juice of 2.5 lemons
Then it starts going down through the juice of the ½ lemon until it reaches zero.
5 lemons would be a reasonable target for smaller people, children, etc. Adults can reach much higher.
You can add Stevia and of course water; customize to your own taste. People with cancer should be careful with sugar and not take more than 2 teaspoons of honey a day. Other sugars and sweeteners should be avoided.
You don't have to drink the lemon juice all at once; you can store it in the fridge and drink it throughout the day. It is excellent for fighting nausea. Add a little warm or room temperature water to the juice; avoid very cold drinks.
After consuming lemon juice, rinse your mouth with plain water to avoid the effects of the fruit's acid on tooth enamel.
Once you reach your goal of between 5 and 30 lemons in a day, slowly work your way back down by cutting back by half or one lemon a day.
You can also use lemon peel for baking as it contains limonene, which is also very beneficial for health. It is important to use organic lemons, as the rind of non-organic lemons can contain harmful pesticides and a waxy coating.
To learn more about the health benefits of lemon, we invite you to read the following articles:
- Fight sickness and fatigue with lemon juice and baking soda
- How to make your own natural vitamin C
- Increase your appetite with these 9 foods
At the Budwig Center, we use lemons as part of our successNatural Budwig Diet to Fight Cancer. For more information on the health benefits of lemon juice and information on the Budwig Diet, download afree copy of our guide.
Subscribe to our newsletterto receive the latest news, publications, health tips and more.
Note: This post was originally published in November 2011 and has been updated for freshness, accuracy and clarity.
How much plastic do you eat?
Keto and Atkins against cancer
Biopsies can be risky
Cholesterol levels and cancer connection
Download Budwig Guide
- dr. Johanna Budwig Biography
- Budwig diet and meal plan
- Contact us
I feel really free
My name is Alena and I am from Prague. Three years ago I was unfortunately diagnosed with breast cancer. They offered me conventional treatment options, meaning surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy. But since I had already received homeopathic medicines…
ALENA HAMALCIKOVAbreast cancer
Thank you message to all
Today marks one calendar year since I completed intensive 3-week treatment for prostate cancer that had metastasized to my L1 and lungs. He had dropped from 75 kg to 61 kg in body weight and was using a catheter. My appetite was low and very constipated…
THOMAS OBAFEMI OLAWOREProstate cancer
I am impressed by the professionalism.
My diagnosis was prostate cancer, locally advanced prostate cancer, which means it has not spread to the rest of the body, but stuck out of the prostate. I chose the Budwig Center because I have read a lot about Johanna Budwig over the years, so I knew the name.
Regular consumption of lemon water may help strengthen bones, promote oral health, and prevent anemia and kidney stones due to its citrate content. Lemon juice contains various antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that boost brain and heart health.What happens when you drink fresh lemon juice everyday? ›
Regular consumption of lemon water may help strengthen bones, promote oral health, and prevent anemia and kidney stones due to its citrate content. Lemon juice contains various antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that boost brain and heart health.What happens to the body if people drink lemon water every day for a week? ›
Consuming large amounts of lemon water daily can damage the stomach. Due to its acidity, it can cause heartburn, nausea, and vomiting. One of the downsides of drinking lemon water daily is that it can trigger the development of ulcers. The acid in lemons can harm the stomach and intestinal linings, leading to ulcers.How much pure lemon juice should I drink a day? ›
Stephens recommends using the juice from two to three lemons (about four to six tablespoons) throughout the day, and drinking one or two glasses of lemon water with meals, and one glass in between meals. But don't necessarily add lemon to every glass of water you drink.What happens when you drink lemon juice first thing in the morning? ›
Drinking warm lemon water will make sure that your digestive system functions smoothly. The citric acid present in lemon will keep digestive problems at bay. It will interact with the other essential enzymes in your stomach and stimulate the secretion of gastric juices.Does lemon water detox your liver? ›
Many citrus fruits, including lemon, can be added to water to help stimulate and flush out the liver. Lemons are high in nutrients like vitamin C and antioxidants. To help prevent liver disease, enjoy four to six tablespoons of lemon juice mixed with water each day.Is it OK to drink straight up lemon juice? ›
Lemons contain citric acid, which is corrosive and damaging to tooth enamel. It's not until lemon juice has been fully digested and metabolized that it becomes alkaline. So, it's important to ingest lemon juice sparingly, assuming the acid can and will eventually affect your tooth enamel.How long does it take to see benefits of drinking lemon water? ›
Therefore, lemon water at warm or room temperature is recommended to achieve maximum health benefits. How long does it take to get the results? Results such as improvement in digestion and higher energy levels can be seen within one week of regular consumption of warm lemon water.Does lemon water reduce belly fat? ›
Lemon water can promote fullness, support hydration, boost metabolism, and increase weight loss. However, lemon water is no better than regular water when it comes to losing fat. That being said, it is tasty, easy to make, and can be used as a low-calorie replacement for high-calorie beverages.Is lemon water good for your kidneys? ›
Lemon water contains high amounts of citrate. According to a 2015 review , numerous studies have found that citrus fruits, including lemon, can increase urine levels of citrate, which may help treat kidney stones.
How to Make Lemon Water. Fill a 12-15 ounce mug filled with warm (but not boiling) water and add the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Always use a fresh lemon; never use bottled lemon juice. Organic lemons are best if you have access to them.Is bottled lemon juice as good as fresh? ›
Both are very low in calories and fat. They are both good sources of vitamin C, folate and potassium. Fresh lemon juice contains significantly more vitamin C than bottled lemon juice.What does 100% lemon juice do? ›
Lemons contain a high amount of vitamin C, soluble fiber, and plant compounds that give them a number of health benefits. Lemons may aid weight loss and reduce your risk of heart disease, anemia, kidney stones, digestive issues, and cancer.Is it better to drink hot or cold lemon water in the morning? ›
Drinking it ice cold may hinder the digestive benefits of the lemon water. And it makes your body spend more energy trying to heat it up. But lemon water at warm or room temperature provides you with the most health benefits. It allows the enzymatic and energetic properties of the lemon their full flow.What happens when you drink lemon water and apple cider vinegar? ›
Drinking apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in the morning has many potential health benefits, such as improved digestion, weight loss, higher energy levels, clearer skin, and pH balance.Does lemon water help with inflammation? ›
Lemon water has several health benefits thanks to its high vitamin C concentration, flavonoid content, and acidity. Both flavonoids and vitamin C are strong antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory effects, therefore they may protect cells from damage and reduce inflammation in the body.Does lemon burn fat in the tummy? ›
The answer to this is easy: No. Lemons do not have special fat-burning qualities, explains Czerwony. A squeeze of the fruit's pucker-inducing juice won't help you squeeze into a smaller pair of jeans. “That mechanism of action is just not there,” says Czerwony.Is lemon juice good for your kidneys? ›
Yes: Citrus Fruits
A diet high in any fruit from the citrus family can also help prevent kidney stones. Add a splash of lemon juice to your water or reach for an orange or grapefruit for your next snack.